Are you new to Canada and Halton? Get the help you need to settle in Canada with these services.
Settlement Information Specialists
The Centre’s Settlement Information Specialists can answer your questions about settling into Halton.
Get information about:
- Banking in Canada
- Getting a driver’s licence
- Accessing health care
- Getting work
- Finding child care
- PR card application / renewal
- Citizenship application
- Special classes during summer (pronunciation, English to succeed, citizenship)
Appointments are available in Burlington, Milton, Georgetown and Oakville.
For more information, please call:
- Burlington, South Service Road: 905.333.3499 x 196
- Burlington, Millcroft: 905.336.5444 x 101
- Oakville, Abbeywood: 905.847.8345 x 101 (from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Milton/Georgetown: 905-693-8103 x 201 (Milton hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
Commissioner of Oaths
You might need a Commissioner of Oaths to apply for a passport, verify foreign language transcripts, verify translation of documents, sign official documents, and more.
Get free assistance from The Centre’s Commissioner of Oaths with signing declarations regarding:
- Residency in Ontario
- Legal name change and birth name correction
- Translation of passport pages
- Invitation letter for parent and family members to visit Canada
- Parental consent for children travelling abroad
- Identify declaration as per request of the requesting body/organization
- Proof of Life
- Certifying copies of:
- Birth certificate
- Permanent resident card
- Canadian citizenship certificate
- Foreign university and college diplomas
To make an appointment, please contact:
If you live near Burlington contact:
Maria Brzeska, Commissioner of Oaths
905.333.3499 x 196 / 1.888.315.5521 x 196
If you live near Milton, Georgetown or Mississauga contact:
Alex Harchenko, Commissioner of Oaths
905.693.8103 x 204
Newcomers Conversation Circle
**The health and safety of our clients, staff and event participants are of utmost importance in everything that we do. Therefore, given the current health concerns about COVID-19, Centre for Skills Development has made the decision to cancel all future Newcomer Conversation Circles for the time being as a proactive measure.**
Improve your English conversation skills in a relaxed atmosphere and build your speaking confidence. Come out and share your experiences, learn about your community, and discover what the library has to offer!
Tuesdays from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. at Tansley Woods Library, 1996 Itabashi Way, Burlington (Currently not running)
Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at the Glen Abbey Library, 1415 Third Line, Oakville. (Currently not running)
The Newcomers Network welcomes new volunteers to its team!
Subscribe to our weekly e-mail reminders for where, when, who and what topics will be discussed in our next Newcomer Conversation Circle! Click here to subscribe.
Need more information?
Burlington, South Service Road location: 905-333-3499 x 264
Burlington, Millcroft location: 905-336-5444 x 102
Milton/Georgetown: 905-693-8103 x 204
Oakville, Abbeywood location: 905-847-8345 x 101
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org